Thursday 26 March 2015

wandering alone in the wilderness of a night



            
                   Wandering alone  in the wilderness of a night

“I have always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner. Their floor boards of the skull well swept and all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed ― David Benioff (author)
I am well informed about the reasons for sleepless ness in the nights. I am also aware of the fact that the body's "biological clock," or 24-hour cycle (circadian rhythm) can be affected by light or darkness, which can make the body think it is time to sleep or wake up. Body clock sleep problems have been linked to a hormone called melatonin. Light and dark affect how the body makes melatonin. Most melatonin is made at night. During the day, light tells your body to make less melatonin. If you work at night in artificial light, your body may be making less melatonin than it needs
Some people—such as those who can't sleep until very late and those who go to bed very early—have circadian rhythms that are different from those of most people. Other people with sleep problems may have regular circadian rhythms but have to adjust them to new situations, such as working a night shift. When you work at night and sleep during the day, your body's internal clock needs to reset to let you sleep during the day. Sometimes that's hard to do. People who work the night shift or rotate shifts may have trouble sleeping during the day and may feel tired at night when they need to be alert for work.
 My family doctor once said to me that, “it is always difficult to educate the already educated persons.” I am one excellent example of such a case due to my mismanagement of my sleep.
One day, I was watching news hour programme of an English channel and was enjoying it thoroughly for the use of vocal and lung power of every one participating in it and the inability of the anchor to bring some orderliness in the debate. It was highly hilarious to watch three people  talking simultaneously and continuously and I was thrilled to see the  women spokes person’s  victory in silencing others by their non stop verbal   direhoria.   This activity of mine i.e., entertaining my self with the news discussion, in the comfort of my home was going on till 11 PM. The sleep clock sent the first signal through making me yarn and reminded me to go to bed immediately.  I ignored the warning knowing very well that after some time, the sleep clock will get confused and stop activating the process of sleeping. Then suddenly I remembered that, I have some work in the kitchen and when I finished that work, the time was 11. 40 PM and then I retired to my bed feeling extremely sleepy.
 But habits die hard. Hence, as usual I took a magazine and started reading it thinking, I may read for 10 minutes. But. That activity was extended to half an hour, though all the articles were related to election and poll predictions. I was already over fed with voluminous information on these matters. Hence I decided to cooperate with the sleep clock and switched off the lights and closed my eyes. 
 The over all result of the mismanagement of my sleeping  time  was immediately realised, i.e. just then, I started feeling very fresh and even after one hour of tossing in the bed, changing directions of the pillow , adjusting the fan speed, drinking water etc., didn’t help in getting my sleep. I started reciting prayer, started counting numbers and practiced yoga sleep technique. Nothing helped .By then it was 1. 30 AM.  The sleep clock refused to help in solving my problem . Then I switched on the TV and was bored with the old movies and over familiar comedy scenes and news coverage of mammoth meetings of Modi and his thundering speeches.
Then, I decided not to go back to the bed again and waste my time and resolved to convert my midnight into a productive time. Praying and writing are the two activities I am not able to do in day time without disturbance. First, I decided to start my prayers. I could immediately establish a very personal contact with God in that silent atmosphere which was free from phone calls, door bells, service providers, guests and interesting TV programmes  . I could pray with total satisfaction and devotion sharing everything with God and asking for His guidance for the rest of my life and of course to help me to sleep at least for few hours that night.  It was a very satisfying moment of the day, since very rarely only I get such intense personal dialogue opportunity with God.
Then I started my next productive activity i.e., writing .When all the living beings sleep in peace and  when there was perfect silence around me  it was very  conducive for  free flow of thoughts. .  First I attempted poetry. Stopped it after some time realising that, it is not my cup of tea. Then, I wrote a letter to The Hindu on some news coverage on which I had formed my opinion, knowing very well that, it will not be published since it was too late to send it for the next day paper and also my letter has appeared only 15 days back and for another two or three months my letters will not find space in the letter column since, every one has to be given justifiable chance (according to my assumption). Then I started writing an article meant to be sent to this section, knowing very well that, if any one’s article appears in this section, for another one year at least, the next article of the same person will not re appear since, there is flooding of articles to this section from all types of free lance writers and some time columnists also compete for space in this column (according to my assumption) There are of course few exceptions to this rule such as writer like DR. TN.
 Finally the article came to the final shape after improvements and tough editing.and the send button was clicked at 3 AM and I spent another 10 minutes to send a blog to my  blog spot space. . Then I finally went to bed with the satisfaction of not fully wasting  my sleepless night  and hoped to  sleep till 8 Am , so that I will have some pysical stamina to attend to the next day’s tasks that would face me.  The sleep clock finally took mercy on me and allowed me to sleep for few hours. This resulted in spoiling all my programmes of the day time since, I was experiencing drowsiness for several hours.   The moral of the story is-
·        It is not possible to fall asleep whenever we wish. 
·         It is not possible to wake up whenever we wish.
·        At most discipline is required in sleeping time and we should never disturb the sleep clock’s functioning if we want to avoid midnight adventures.  .

Written by Prof.  Rameeza.A.Rasheed

No comments:

Post a Comment