Sunday 4 October 2020

Demise of DR. K.V. Tkirivenkatam

The news on the demise of DR. K.V. Tkirivenkatam would have left many patients of him like me with sadness . What a wonderful doctor! He was known for correct and quick diagnosis  and the right treatment for the medical problems of his patients  . In spite of his name and fame in the medical world, he was so simple . His consulting room was  simple and the patients can explain their problems without any hurry , because he was a patient listener. He treated all types patients equally  irrespective of their status .

 Few decades ago, I was suffering with multiple health problems and leading a normal life was difficult. I had  gone to half a dozen eminent doctors   in Chennai, did so many diagnostic tests and swallowed too many medicines without any relief from my mental and physical strain and growing  medical expenses. Finally  my family doctor sent me with a referral letter to DR. K.V.K.  I had half an hour consultation with him explaining my medical history and the existing situation. He didn’t hurry me out to see other patients. He did some physical tests and sent me to a thyroid testing lab. After seeing the result of that test ,  he took two full page papers  and started filling up those two pages and asked me to follow everything written in in his own hand writing, that prescription.

 After going home I found that, he had prescribed only one medicine. The rest of the pages were filled with instructions regarding what types of drinks and food as I should avoid through out my life  and how I should use hot water bags in the nights while sleeping to give relief to my seriously hurting heels and how many times in a day I should  be  gurgling with salt water and what precautions I should take to prevent infection of my thyroid glands throughout  my life. I am meticulously  following all the instructions he had given decades ago as per the need of the hour and learnt to manage my thyroid gland infection based problems . There was no need to go to any other doctor then for the problems with which I had  been suffering for three years.

 Occasionally when I get mild pain or severe pain in the heels I restart following his instructions and get relief. I didn’t have to seek repeated appointments with him.  That thorough and clear was his prescription papers. Very rarely we come across such professionals. May his soul rest in peace for serving humanity in the moist professional manner.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment